Monday, February 17, 2014

A Knitter's Winter



Most people head to the grocery store when they hear that a snow storm is coming.

Not me. I head to the yarn shop.

When I hear a storm is coming my first thoughts are, "Do I have enough yarn?"



Winter 2013-2014 has been a knitter's winter.


There's nothing cozier than knitting in front of a fire.

This winter has blessed me with the time to finish up some projects, and, of course, begin some.


I was able to finish this prayer blanket for a special little baby boy who is having surgery. This blanket was so much fun to crochet. I loved watching the angel appear. I do believe this is going to be my go to baby blanket pattern. It took me about a month to crochet this blanket while working full time with a snow day or two. You can find the pattern here.



I started this cowl last year. While grafting it together I made a huge mistake and the whole thing started to unravel. I quickly put a life line in it and tossed it in a basket knowing that I needed to return to it when my patience was at its highest level. I pulled it out of the basket last Friday, finished grafting it Saturday, and wore it Saturday night out to dinner. You can find the pattern here

I know. I know. Most people are losing their patience this winter. I am becoming more relaxed with each storm. 



Last night I started knitting a teddy bear for the Mother Bear Project. The Mother Bear Project provides hand knitted teddy bears to children in emerging nations. Thousands of Mother Bear teddy bears have gone to children in Africa. So many children in Africa are affected by HIV/AIDS. Millions of these children are orphaned by this disease. These teddy bears are meant to bring these children just a little bit of comfort and hope. These teddy bears are one simple way to let these children know that someone cares. 

I was privileged to meet Amy Berman, the founder of the Mother Bear Project at Vogue Knitting Live NY a couple of years ago. The minute I stepped into Amy's booth I could feel the energy of love, kindness and abundant caring. Please take a few minutes and read about Amy here.

If you are interested in knitting or crocheting one of these easy-to-make bears just send $5.00 to: 
P.O. Box 62188
Minneapolis, MN 55426
Let them know if you  would like the knit pattern or the crochet pattern and they will send it to you. Please visit their website Mother Bear Project for more information. 

The snow will end. The crocuses will push their way up through the snow reaching for the sunlight. The daffodils will appear. SPRING will come. However, for now, grab a cup of hot coffee or tea, light a fire in the fireplace, put your feet up and watch the snow come down. There is peace to be found in snow falling upon snow. 

Love,
Terry




3 comments:

  1. Make sure you yarn supply is good. I love your little baby prayer blanket. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Teddy Bear project! What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing and enjoy, hopefully, the last of winter :-)

    Hugs, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creo que me pasa lo mismo. Aca no nieva, pero llueve mucho y paso mucho tiempo encerrada en casa. De los alimentos se preocupa mi marido y yo de mis telas, pegamentos y todo lo que necesito para hacer diferentes cosas. No tejo, pero hago pequeñas cosas.
    Saludos desde Chile
    Maru

    ReplyDelete